The Absalom spirit has imported more hell to earth than anyone can imagine. I’ve ministered to many Christian leaders who have struggled to understand, “What’s going on here?” when they are facing an Absalom-like personality.
By far, the greatest confusion, chaos, and ministry pain come when these sincere pastors came face to face with an Absalom spirit.
This spirit brings chaos and confusion. The biblical story of Absalom is not a pretty one. Read about it in 2 Samuel 14-18.
Absalom is an imposter—a usurper
People who possess the Absalom spirit are typically frustrated with their lives, their ministries, or their perceived level in life.
They often search for value in personal pursuits rather than in God Himself and thus become like the man Solomon described.
Ecclesiastes 5:17 NLT
Throughout their lives, they live under a cloud—frustrated, discouraged, and angry.
They frequently imagine they deserve more recognition than what their achievements merit. (2 Samuel 18:18 AMPL)
Here are some Indicators of an Absalom Spirit:
- Big dreams, but blame others, for blocking those dreams.
- They feel their perceived level of wisdom is being ignored, or their super gifts are not being put to use.
- They have false criteria—Absalom had a way of judging everything by his own criteria.
- A modern Absalom gets offended at leadership, then, secretly arranges the subtle “execution” of the leader’s reputation, achievements, or integrity.
- An Absalom spirit typically harbors camouflaged bitterness, unresolved offenses, disappointments, and anger.
- An Absalom spirit thrives on hidden agendas, concealed strategies, and secret alliances.
- Absalom is a master of manipulation and flattery.
- Absalom feeds his followers with his fault-finding and critical spirit.
- An Absalom spirit exhibits false humility, yet proudly believes he is wiser and better than the appointed leader. (2 Samuel 15:5)
When an Absalom spirit is at work in a church or business, you will notice turmoil, confusion, and will probably experience a twisted stomach and a bombardment of your thought life because of the demonic release an Absalom spirit.
St. Paul spoke of this rebellious spirit becoming more dominant as we approach the Lord’s coming.
2 Thessalonians 2:7 AMPL
For the mystery of lawlessness (that hidden principle of rebellion against constituted authority) is already at work in the world …
The Absalom spirit believes he can do your job better than you.
In time, the Absalom spirit maneuvers to demonize the leader, betraying him by killing his influence among as many followers as possible.
It sounds eerily similar to Lucifer’s betrayal of God, and his capturing the hearts of one-third of the angelic forces.
If you’re a pastor, leader, or business owner, you cannot coddle an unrepentant person who carries this Absalom spirit.
You cannot afford to leave an arrogant Absalom-type in any position of authority in your church or your business.
You want Jesus to have preeminence, not an Absalom spirit. For further study check out my book The Imposter.
Wow. Thank your for exposing this spirit.
A shamar prophets must be raise in every local church to guard against this evil conspiracy.Absalom stood at the gate to stole the heart of the people from his father David( 2nd samuel 15:2–6)
Please i want to be part of this ministry for you to help me understand this topic
Amen,we should stand firm to fight this spirit out in our
Thank you so much for the information you provided in this article.
Very glad to learn this today, the Spirit made me to discuss about it with my spouse and the same forced me to spare my bed for research about this word niw hv been greatly edified
Thank you very much for sharing insights into the spirit of Absaloam. I often heard of his but didn’t know its character traits. Now I know how to fight against it. God bless you