Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives overlooking the city Jerusalem when his disciples popped him some well-crafted questions about the end times: “Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?”
The disciples knew that God always issues warnings by giving signs that something dramatic is approaching.
Signs are like “previews of coming attractions.” They are not the main feature but point to it. Signs and harbingers provide small glimpses of what the main feature will be like.
Signs for the Final Days
The ancient biblical prophets gave us certain signs concerning the last generation. Here’s what they told us about the final days just before Christ comes:
- The world’s main focal point would be the Middle East
- Russia would begin aligning with key Muslim nations (Ezekiel 38)
- Israel would be surrounded by those bent on her annihilation (Psalm 83)
- Anti-Semitism would dramatically escalate (Zechariah 14)
- Religious deception would become rampant (Matthew 24, Mark 13, Luke 21)
- Political chaos would increase fiercely, and a global political star with persuasive and shocking solutions would rise up (Daniel 9)
- Extreme famines would occur in different parts of the world (Matthew 24)
- There would be wars and rumors of war, especially relative to the Middle East and Israel (Mark 13)
- Epidemics and pandemics would escalate (Matthew 24)
- Earthquakes and natural disasters would heighten in frequency and intensity
- Technology would make astonishing advances (Daniel 12)
- Terrorism would jump to the forefront (Luke 21)
- There would be an abnormal emphasis on sex and materialism, and morality would be twisted (2 Timothy 3)
- Betrayals, multiplying family problems, and resistance to God’s messages would be prevalent (Matthew 24, 2 Timothy 3)
- A genuine Holy Spirit revival would emerge as a remnant of godly believers focused on the Lord Jesus Christ and His power (Joel 2; Acts 2)
All these signs are now accelerating and converging at breakneck speed.
Jesus gave us the signals that would precede His imminent coming, then, He warned, “When you shall see all these things, you know that it is near, even at the doors. Truly I say to you; this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.” Matthew 24:33, 34
If you believe Jesus told the truth, then you must believe the generation that sees these signs taking place simultaneously and globally will likely be part of the final generation, and quite possibly experience the long-awaited return of Jesus Christ. While followers of Christ will walk in hope, faith, and great power, others will taste only anguish and distress in the days ahead.
Like an alarm clock, many choose to ignore it.
Prophetic signs and warnings, like those David Wilkerson issued, can be agitating and discomforting.
Somehow we want to believe, “Maybe we’ve still got a few years or decades before these prophecies come to pass.”
But the evidence tells us they are upon us now. The Day of the Lord truly will come any day! Jesus promised it, and it will happen. And you’re either ready…or not. If you know Jesus as your Lord, you’re ready. If not, you’re not.