Sadly many of God’s people have PMS (Poverty Mentality Syndrome). There is a “wealthy place” to which God invites you. But PMS keeps many in bondage to the mediocre place.
Signs of a Poverty Mentality
1. Spending rather than investing
2. Believing, “I should be a rich as others without having to pay the price they paid”
- This leads to the “Buy now, pay later plan.”
- No multi-millionaire has that plan
3. Self-fulfilling prophecies people make with their own lips identifying the poverty mentality syndrome.
Saying things like:
- “Can’t afford it.”
- “There are more important things than money.”
- “Did you ever read that money is the root of all evil?”
- “It’s harder for a rich person to get to heaven than for a camel to get through the eye of a needle.”
- “He’s filthy rich.”
- Criticizing the wealthy
4. Believing this lie: “I should be paid more for seniority than productivity.”
Some people think they should be paid for occupying space
There are three disgusting attitudes:
- Entitlement mentality
- Victim mentality
- Scarcity mentality
A poverty or scarcity spirit darkens dreams and enslaves souls to living beneath their God-given power and potential. Check out the message I Had a Poverty Spirit and Didn’t Know it.
5. Thinking, “There’s nobility or spirituality in lack”
6. Believing “It’s not spiritual to focus on money” (Jesus disagreed)
Luke 16:11-12 NLT
And if you are untrustworthy about worldly wealth, who will trust you with the true riches of heaven?
And if you are not faithful with other people’s things, why should you be trusted with things of your own?
A printer typo is on the computer, not the printer. The problem is in thinking, not the outcome they produce.
7. “I feel guilty when wealth comes to me.”
Why? When God said he gives you the power to get wealth in Deuteronomy 8:18.
Are you going where you want to go? Doing what you want to do?
Right now determine to eliminate the PMS and receive the promise of God for the power to get wealth, connect it to the Great Commission, and enjoy more yourself, and leave your children and grandchildren a wonderful inheritance.
I find it so perculiar that some of us, Gods people easely reject prosperity teaching but justify being without the abundances of life promised to us by our God.